In this week’s episode
Robert ponders what happens when we wait to pursue our passions. On the news front, we dissect Mary Meeker’s Annual Internet Trends report, which finally gives content marketing a seat at the table, and discuss Amazon, Netflix, and Google’s ravenous appetite for content opportunities. Our rants and raves include No Wasted Opportunities; then we close the show with an example of the week from Land Rover.
Download this week’s PNR: This Old Marketing podcast
Content love from our sponsor: GoToWebinar (45:19)
Why webinars help marketers win – As content marketers, we’re a bit like triathletes. Thankfully, webinars help us as we compete for mind share across content formats. The research is clear: An effective webinar engages customers, builds thought leadership, and sells products. In this e-book, we’ll show you how to attract and engage your audience, create your webinar content, and interact authentically with customers.
Start rocking your lead gen with webinars.
- (00:01): An advertising blast from the past: “Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye”
- (00:30): Robert muses on this week’s theme: What are you waiting for?
- (05:25): Welcome to Episode 186: Recorded live on June 4, 2017 (Running time: 1:07:15)
- (11:15): A bonus offer from our episode sponsor, VideoBlocks: VideoBlocks is an affordable, subscription-based stock media site that gives you unlimited access to premium stock footage. Its sister site, AudioBlocks, has a 100,000+ library of music tracks, sound effects, and loops to complement your videos.
VideoBlocks has one of the fastest growing largest stock video libraries, with over 3 million videos, After Effects templates, and motion backgrounds. This includes its contributor marketplace that gives 100% of the commission back to the artists and passes the savings on to you! This month, VideoBlocks is launching its latest collection: Creator to Creator. With more than 1,000 artistic and creative lifestyle clips to choose from, VideoBlocks is featuring videos and music from creators just like you for your next project. And don’t forget: Downloads are yours forever, even after your trial ends, and are 100% royalty free.
Sign up now for our two-for-one deal: You’ll get AudioBlocks for free when you sign up for your $149 VideoBlocks subscription today. That’s a $100 discount on unlimited downloads of both video and audio clips, available only to PNR listeners.
The PNR perspective on notable news and trends
- (14:30): What’s surprising – and what isn’t – about the marketing landscape, as viewed through Mary Meeker’s 2017 Internet Trends Report. (Source: AdvertisingAge)
- (31:40): Why Berkeley’s journalism program is preparing to feed streaming services’ ravenous appetite for content. (Source: NiemanLab)
Rants and raves
- (47:25): Robert’s commentary: Though ad fraud rates are projected to be on the decline in the U.S., Robert wonders whether it’s due to better controls and protocols or simply that more ad dollars are pouring into platforms that offer a lower risk of fraud. (Source: MarketingWeek)
- (53:48): Joe’s rave: I explain why I believe that when you make excuses, you are surrendering to failure, and advise marketers to focus on what they do have and can do, instead of what they don’t have or can’t do. (Source: No Opportunity Wasted)
This Old Marketing example of the week
(57:40): Land Rover: Robert’s wife had a content marketing “aha!” moment this week, upon receiving the latest copy of Land Rover’s bi-annual owner’s magazine, Onelife. As this case study explains, the print publication highlights the brand’s contributions to living an adventurous lifestyle through high-quality photography and well-written features that aren’t afraid to show a little road grime in the name of relating to their customers’ real-life experiences. Land Rover says the magazine represents its ideals of design leadership, outstanding engineering, and modern world capability. It’s also a stellar This Old Marketing example of how to build brand loyalty through content.
Image source: Redwood London
For a full list of PNR archives, go to the main This Old Marketing page.
Cover image by Joseph Kalinowski/Content Marketing Institute
How do I subscribe?
The post This Week in Content Marketing: Mary Meeker Dedicates Entire Slide to Content Marketing appeared first on Content Marketing Institute.